Just for completeness on anyone reading this...

Setting development mode to false has vastly improved the performance, as is
no doubt already known by most people! My Old Generation memory now cycles
nicely, clearing out by 75% each time.

I also added the "checkInterval" parameter (at anything greater than zero)
to enable background compiling of JSPs, otherwise any changes to the JSP
files are not reflected on the website if development mode is false.

Thanks again for the help Mark... and guess what... we have since been asked
to upgrade to Tomcat-7.0.19 by our PCI auditors! Useful!

Ian