I was using Tomcat 5.0.28 before using Tomcat 7.0.16. The application was
working perfectly fine. Recently, we have migrated from Tomcat 5 to Tomcat
7.

The application works fine for most of the part but gives problem with
URLRewriteFilter.
I have used URLRewriteFilter to convert Capital case request URI to
lowercase and SEO purpose.
The capital case convert rule looks like

<rule match-type="regex">
<name>Force URL filenames to lower case</name>
<note>Redirect rule to convert capital case URLs to small case with
parameters</note>
<condition type="request-uri" casesensitive="true"
next="or">^/.*[A-Z].*</condition>
<from>^/(.*)\?.*</from>
<to type="permanent-redirect"
last="true">%{context-path}/${lower:$1}?%{query-string}</to>
</rule>

when this rule processed in Tomcat 5, it is processed against request URI
"/XXXX/yyyyy/zzzzzz" (excluding quotes) where part of request URI is in
capital case i.e. XXXX

During redirect URL is encoded which appends jsessionid. The redirected URL
looks like
/xxxx/yyyyy/zzzzzz;jessionid=A226083725B7B955569D86710420D1DF

When browser calls above URL after redirect the new request is processed.
Now the request URI becomes
"/xxxx/yyyyy/zzzzzz"

so it will not go to capital case rule and will be processed against SEO
rules.

In Tomcat 7 if I try the same URL which has request URI i.e.
"/XXXX/yyyyy/zzzzzz" (excluding quotes) where part of request URI is in
capital case i.e. XXXX

During redirect URL is encoded which appends jsessionid. The redirected URL
looks like
/xxxx/yyyyy/zzzzzz;jessionid=BCE91A85A66AAFF384E854D59E5AC877

When browser calls above URL after redirect the new request is processed.
Now the request URI becomes
/xxxx/yyyyy/zzzzzz;jessionid=BCE91A85A66AAFF384E854D59E5AC877

Here it breaks for me on Tomcat 7
The jsessionid is part of request URI. Hence it again goes to capital case
rule which it shouldn't. Then again same thing happens and new jsessionid is
appended to URL as shown in following URI

/xxxx/yyyyy/zzzzzz;jsessionid=bce91a85a66aaff384e854d59e5ac877;jsessionid=BCE91A85A66AAFF384E854D59E5AC877

This goes on happening in infinite loop and browser throws error "Page isn't
redirecting properly"

Can anybody tell me what feature/change in Tomcat 7 responsible for this
behavior?
I will really appreciate any help on this.
Thanks in advance.

-Javed Attar