On 08/03/2011 10:11 PM, Jorge Medina wrote:
I run Tomcat in a Solaris 10 SPARC machine using jsvc through a init script.

jsvc is started by root, but I specify the "-user" option to change to
the "application" user.
I use the option "-outfile" and  "-errfile" to specify where to direct
stdout and stderr, "catalina.out" and "catalina.err" in my
environment.

jsvc redirects stdout/stderr before setuid (changing to -user)
thus the files are created by superuser.
Actually that's the desired behavior; You have files writtable
by -user during the application life-time but created and
readable by root.

If you need lower security, don't use the commons daemon.

Regards
--
^TM