Michael,

On 8/16/2011 4:42 PM, Zampani, Michael wrote:
I don't understand why it was ever present, though.  Does anybody
know why you wouldn't want these headers on secure requests?

The svn comment says "...to reduce the likelihood of issues when
downloading files with IE.". Presumably, [MS]IE has "issues" with
downloading files with those response headers.

Some versions of MSIE have problems downloading files depending on the cache-control header. We've seen this with our course management system. From what I've seen IE doesn't download files, it caches them, then copies them into place on the filesystem. But due to the cache control headers, it couldn't copy the cached file because it wasn't allowed to, causing trouble.