> You need to read the Servlet spec.

Great suggestion.  I didn't even know that there was a Servlet spec!  Very
revealing.  Your further response summarizes very well the essence of what
the Spec has to say on the subject.

My intention was to try to come up with a general-purpose forwarding
mechanism that I could use for a variety of purposes including forwarding to
an errors page upon the occurrence of an exception.  I don't like the idea
of just creating a huge buffer in the hopes that everything will all work
out.  So, basically, I'd say that I am screwed!  :-)

Given this revelation, I would like to discuss various ways for handling
exceptions.  Since that is OT in this thread, I will begin a new thread to
deal with that topic.

You have answered my question.  Thank you very much.

           ... doug