The Linux JVM has a nice option -XX:+UseLargePages to help avoid TLB misses on
heap accesses.  It's good for modest gains, and has the side effect of locking
the heap into memory.  I tend to use it on systems with large heaps.

Not much you can do about cache misses though, besides getting processors with
more cache.

-Jeff