HUGE apologies, Pid! I had no idea that a changed subject would keep my email in a previous thread. I saw no visible connection to your thread, I didn't know that my email client (Thunderbird) would pass the reference to your thread back in the email header. I'll be sure to start a fresh thread in the future, very embarrassing. Believe me, no thread hijacking was intended, it was just mailing list incompetence. (I also have no idea how to pull that reference from this reply, sorry.)

And thanks for the tip, Mark, I'll give multiple Tomcat instances a try, I guess that's pretty obvious, I was trying to reduce the overhead of updates by running a single container. And I thought that having 30-odd Tomcat instances (or whatever) would be a much larger drain on resources than a single Tomcat instance with 30 hosts; sounds like it isn't.

And more memory - yes. I'll get those servers up to 8 GB each. But what I was looking for was a reference to some sort of multi-context multi-host "HOW-TO", which I'm guessing does not exist. I don't want to ask you folks to get into the details of my specific situation, that's my job.