I found the problem using new Exception().printStackTrace()

The problem was PsiProbe application that I am using to monitor Tomcat. The
valve it is using to instrument tomcat is probably not async aware. After
undeploying it, async support works as expected. I will notify PsiProbe team
about the issue.

Thanks Konstantin.

Mete