My system: Tomcat 6.0.18 --- Linux Red Hat 4 -- Java 6

Hi folk,

does anyone of you knows where I can get some materials in order to
understand how Tomcat works with sub-directories within an exploded-war
file?

I clarify the question: I have the below structure and what I don't
understand is why those xml files that are also under /Tomcat/conf/ are put
under such a webApp folder. My understanding is that having them under one
own folder they can be customized for any specific war, am I right?

/tomcat/apps/webAppName{
Catalina         catalina.properties  log4j.properties  tomcat-users.xml
catalina.policy  context.xml          server.xml        web.xml }

I'm asking this because the IT department of the Company where I work as
consultant, is not giving me any write privileges to modify some files,
neither they're allowing me to copy, by myself, a .war file under webApp.

In the end, with those files I can customize the catalina.properties,
tomcat-users to deploy my webApp from the browser, the context and the
like.. Do you think is this the point?

Probably the qeustion is trivial but I'm on my own and have no one else to
ask.

Thanks in advance,
Ettore.