Barry -

I run an Oracle mixed environment and I can assure you that you will run into
problems running ojdbc14.jar and connecting to your 11g database.  In
particular, you will see some "odd" errors related to bind peek on the server
side - but that is supposedly fixed in 11.2.0.2.  I can't say for sure as I
haven't been able to schedule an upgrade, yet.  If you want to talk to 11g, you
really should use the 11.2.0.2 ojdbc jar file.  You can get that directly from
the Oracle website.

It should be mostly backwards compatible for connecting to 10g, but there are a
few "improvements" that might come back to bite you.  In particular, they have
added additional mappings to handle the Native Language string columns (NCHAR,
NVARCHAR, etc.).  Before switching to that jar in your legacy app, you need to
insure that it won't be a problem, or you may need to make some quick changes
to the code.

Also, according to Oracle, make sure you grab the ojdbc file that matches the
Java version you are running.  If your Tomcat runs under Java 5, you need the
ojdbc5.jar.  The ojdbc6.jar is only for using with Java 6.  They are the same
code, but compiled for those java versions, and I assume optimized for them.

If you don't know what version of the ojdbc file you have, you can always look
it up.  Using your favorite unzip tool, extract the MANIFEST.MF file from the
META-INF directory of the ojdbcx.jar file.  It's a simple text file and
contains the release number of the jar file.

And while you're on the Oracle JDBC website, download the documentation that
goes along with it.  Read it thoroughly and see what other changes they've made
that might be useful and/or detrimental to your implementation.

Jeff

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to
the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your
system.