> Not sure Java IO supports windows UNC.

A quick test worked for me.  I was able to list the contents of a SMB
share on my network.  Windows XP, Java 1.6.0_29.

public class Test {
    for (String fileName : new File("\\\\server\\share").list()) {
      System.out.println(fileName);
    }
  }
}

Maybe try running a quick test like this from your machine?

> but it throws a 404 error if I test it.

How are you testing it?  Are you directly accessing a file on that share
or are you trying to get a directory listing?  By default, Tomcat will
not display a directory listing (it'll display a 404 error).

Dan