I use OpenAM.  It is free and source is free.  A tomcat server does all of
the authentication and authorization.  But what is nice is that there is an
apache module so you can do all of the enforcement at your web server.
Then all other tomcat servers being proxied by that same web server can be
sent custom headers for things like user name, user id, groups, etc.