I'm launching Tomcat 7 via the API.

One of the uses of this is that I can launch from Eclipse and
'live-edit' my static files, without tangling myself up in the Eclipse
JEE facilities, which I have never succeeded in using very well.

Now, I want to meld some shared content into the webapp. In the maven
build, I use the maven 'overlay' concept. For live development, I'm
looking to do the same thing.

Essentially, I want to map in a directory of additional static
resources into the Context. I see addResourceJarUrl, and I wonder what
it does with a file:/ url, though the comment in the javadoc about
META-INF/resources suggests that I'd need to conform to that directory
structure. (and reading the code in BaseDirContext confirms this).

Is 'addAlias' the way to go here?