Hi Mark,

Thanks, with your help, I find out this link:
http://onjava.com/onjava/2001/07/24/tomcat.html, seems you need me setup
MemoryRealm,  then setup security constraint
in webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml

There is an exist role "manager" , I try to understand it and add a new
role "restart" in this web.xml, always get permission deny.

So could you please give some instruction on how to setup below URL to that
role "restart" only?

http://hostname:8181/manager/html/stop?path=/APPNAME
http://hostname:8181/manager/html/start?path=/APPNAME

Regards,