On 19.11.2011 06:07, Jeremy wrote:
OK, we figured it out.  It's a case of too many timeout settings and not
having a real DevOps person on hand.  There was an obvious error message in
Apache's mod_jk.log that I failed to correlate with the problem because I
misread the timestamp on one of the many log entries.  Doh!

[info] ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1150): (node5)
can't receive the response header message from tomcat, network problems or
tomcat (10.xx.xx.xx:8009) is down (errno=11)
[error] ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (1962): (node5) Tomcat is down or
refused connection. No response has been sent to the client (yet)
[info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node5) sending request to
tomcat failed (recoverable),  (attempt=1)

There is, I now see, a socket_timeout and a socket_connect_timeout that do
not show up in the jkmanager status page, in addition to
connection_pool_timeout, connect_timeout,  prepost_timeout, and
reply_timeout which are listed by jkmanager.

We had socket_timeout set to 10 seconds and I didn't know it. Our
transactions only take longer than 10 seconds a few times a week, so that's
why we weren't seeing it that often.

We'll fix by setting:

     socket_timeout=90
     socket_connection_timeout=5000
     retry_options=25

unless someone has a better idea.

Have a look at the example configuration conatined in the mod_jk source download tarball. It provides a pretty decent default configuration.

It is "recovery_options" not "retry_options". Furthermore I personally do not recommend the general "socket_timeout", but I *do* recommend to use all other timeouts with appropriate values. There's more info on Timeouts at

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/timeouts.html

Regards,

Rainer