Óscar Frías Barranco wrote:
Hi.

I want to start Tomcat 6.0.33 (running on port 80) from the command line of
a non-root user.  I have set the setuid flag in the jsvc binary to
"convert" the non-root user to root at the time of execution.  Then the
jsvc binary is executed with the "--user tomcat" parameter.

Sorry, this is not a direct answer to your question, and I don't know either why it would work without APR and not with it.

But, instead of doing this via a setuid root script, could you not do this using the "sudo" command ? It is specifically designed to do things like that.