On 1:59 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

Thom,

On 12/1/11 9:39 AM, Thom Hehl wrote:
I'm not sure. Whichever log file the stack traces goto. Yes,
they're writing to a local drive. Yes as a windows service which
came with the installer.
As Pid says, it's all configurable.

The log files that Tomcat itself opens are controlled by
logging.properties and, AFAIK, not buffered.

Running Tomcat as a Windows Service usually uses a service wrapped
that dumps stdout to stdout.txt or stdout.log or whatever. I believe
that is also not buffered.

If your webapp is doing any of it's own logging, then you are
completely at the mercy of whatever component is configuring that
logging system, and it has nothing to do with Tomcat.

If you could tell us the name of the file, it might help because there
are certain filenames that are likely to be Tomcat-generated and
others are likely to be webapp-generated. Saying "I dunno, the one
where the logs go" is not helpful.

Thanks,
- -chris

Hi, Thom-

See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html for Tomcat 6. Search for bufferSize which appears to work as documented on my system.

Also, with Tomcat 6 executing as a Windows service, calls to System.out.println on my system are written to stdout_YYYYMMDD.log in the Tomcat logs directory. There does not appear to be any buffering nor any way to control buffering of output to System.out.

What you're experiencing may be related to file locking on Windows. Try opening a log file in Notepad without stopping Tomcat after you're sure something has been output to that file. The most recent output should be included.

-Terence Bandoian