> From: oh...@cox.net [mailto:oh...@cox.net]
> Subject: Re: Do any of the Tomcat LDAP-type realms support "no password"
> authentication?

> In other words, even though my valve code can assert a user
> into Tomcat, and even if that same user already exists in the
> Tomcat realm, the asserted user seems to be 'disassociated'
> from the same user in the Tomcat realm?

Need to get some terminology correct here.  A Realm does not normally contain
users, roles, or any other authentication or authorization _data_; rather, it
is a Java class that embodies rules for examining the credentials supplied by a
login attempt and comparing them to credentials and roles stored in some
external location.  By default (and never meant to be used in production), the
external location is the file tomcat-users.xml, and the Realm is
UserDatabaseRealm (augmented by LockOutRealm to discourage probing).  Several
other Realm classes are supplied with Tomcat, to allow access to credentials
from LDAP servers, relational databases, JAAS, etc.

I think what you need is essentially a Realm that does no authentication of its
own (trusting httpd to do that), but does perform the authorization function.
It can then map the userid to whatever set of roles are appropriate for that
user, and return the appropriate response when queried.  See the doc for
details:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/realm-howto.html

It would seem likely that someone out there has written a Realm that performs
the above functions in conjunction with httpd authentication.  (Note: you keep
using the word "Apache" - which is a software organization with many products -
when you're referring to httpd, a specific Apache product, as is Tomcat.)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.