Thanks for your response.

When I ping server2, I get valid responses coming back.  When I telnet to
server2 on port 8009, I am also able to connect.

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:14 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: AJP 1.3 Connector

Vickie Troy-McKoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in need of a little help.  I'm trying to get my tomcat and apache web
> server instances communicating; they are running on two different physical
> servers.  When I attempt a test of the application url, it basically says
> that a connection cannot be established.  I am running the following:
>
> RHEL Release 5.6 (x86_64)
> Apache Tomcat 7.0.14
> Apache/2.0.64
> mod_jk/1.2.32
>
> On the 1st physical server, the apache webserver instance resides:
>
> httpd.conf contains the following:
>
> LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so # JkWorkersFile
> conf/workers.properties JkMount /* server2
>
> workers.properties contain the following:
>
> worker.list=server2
> worker.server2.port=8009
> worker.server2.host=server2.ourlab.com
> worker.server2.type=ajp13
> worker.server2.lbfactor=1
> worker.server2.socket_keepalive=1
>

> On the 2nd physical server, the apache-tomcat instance resides:
>
> server.xml contains the following:
>
> <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
>     <Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" protocol="AJP/1.3"
> redirectPort="8443" />
>
> <Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
> SSLEnabled="true"
>          [and various other settings]
>

> I am missing something.  Can someone please provide help?  Thank you...

Hi.
Your configuration looks fine.
The problem then should be with the network.
Try the following :
 From the Apache httpd server (command-line),

1) enter :
ping server2.ourlab.com

If you get regular messages showing that the ping packets are being answered,
it's fine.
If you get error messages, then you have a basic network problem accessing
server2.ourlab.com from your Apache host.

(faked) example of a "good" answer :
PING server2.ourlab.com (192.168.20.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from server2.ourlab.com (192.168.20.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.326 ms
64 bytes from server2.ourlab.com (192.168.20.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.158 ms
64 bytes from server2.ourlab.com (192.168.20.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.156 ms

Example of a bad answer :
- unknown host
- network is not reachable
etc..

2) If the above is fine, then :
enter :
telnet server2.ourlab.com 8009

It should at least connect (and may drop the connection right away), but the
point is : is it connecting ? If it is, you will get an answer similar to this :
Trying 192.168.20.1...
Connected to colin-int.
Escape character is '^]'.

xxx
Connection closed by foreign host.

Email messages cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
transmitted information can be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services therefore does not accept
liability for any error or omissions in the contents of this
message, which arise as a result of email transmission.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication, including any
attachments, may contain confidential information and is intended
only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any
review, dissemination, or copying of this communication by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
email and delete and destroy all copies of the original message.