> From: Rainer Jung [mailto:rainer.j...@kippdata.de]
> Subject: Re: High memory consumption caused by BLOCKED Threads

> Hmmm, actually I had a short look at the code of
> sun.util.resources.TimeZoneNames.getContents(TimeZoneNames.java:185)
> and i don't unerstand why it is waiting for a monitor entry.

It appears to be an internal JVM monitor, possibly set when GC is running.  I
suspect that the JVM is completely out of heap space, causing the threads to
hang, rather than hanging threads causing heap exhaustion.  GC may be releasing
just enough memory to allow some activities to proceed rather than throwing an
OOME, but then restarting GC right away.

Examine the heap using jhat or other profiler and see who's eating the memory.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.