2011/12/31 George Sexton<geor...@mhsoftware.com>:
I have a servlet mapping for a page named

/403.html

I can invoke that URL and get a page as expected.

In my deployment descriptor, I have an error mapping:

<error-page>
<error-code>403</error-code>
<location>/403.html</location>
</error-page>

in my code I have

if (someCondition) {
    res.sendError(HttpServletResponse.SC_FORBIDDEN);
    return;
}

When this code is hit, my custom page is not displayed. I get a blank page.
No error is thrown by tomcat.

I looked at this a little more. It looks like the response may have been committed before calling HttpServletResponse.sendError(). Once I re-structured the code to not commit the response, it started working.

If I change the error-page entry to reference a static HTML page, the page
is displayed as expected.

This looks like  a bug to me, but I wanted to run it past tomcat-user and
see what other people think.

1. Tomcat version=?

Overall it looks like a bug. But if you submit it I expect you to
provide a simple sample webapp that reproduces it on 7.0.23.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com/