On 27/01/2012 21:41, S Ahmed wrote:
> If I need to upgrade an existing live application that is running off a
> tomcat install that was installed via apt-get (ubuntu), how would I go
> about updating tomcat?

Don't know. That would be a question for an Ubuntu support forum.

> I would have to understand exactly how tomcat is installed correct?  i.e.
> things like xml conf files, symbolic links to paths that may have been
> created, startup/stop scripts that might need to point somewhere else etc.
>
> Am I making this too complicated or is this how others update to a newer
> version of tomcat?

It depends. It isn't how I do it. I use separate CATALINA_HOME and
CATALINA_BASE. Upgrades and downgrades are then trivial. For example,
upgrading the ASF's Jira instances takes less than 2 minutes and most of
that time is waiting for Jira to shutdown and startup.

Mark