Mari,

(Yeah, that was a lot of irrelevant detail).

On 2/8/12 7:51 PM, Mari Masuda wrote:
> Given these constraints I am not sure which connector would be the
> best choice.  I came across this article from 2010 as a result of
> my (mostly unsuccessful) Googling:
> http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2010/06/16/deciding-between-modjk-modproxyhttp-and-modproxyajp

but since I am just the de facto programmer at my work I am not
> well-versed in system administration so it is highly likely that
> there is something obvious that I am missing.

As Hassan points out, your app will be contacting Solr directly, so
there's no reason to hook Tomcat up to your web server (unless you are
putting Solr on a separate box and for some reason that other box also
has a web server that you have to go through).

Just set up any HTTP connector on localhost. By default, you'll get
the BIO ("blocking I/O") connector which is good enough to get up and
running. If you don't expect to get very many requests to Solr from
the local(ish) Drupal (because you'll only be expecting a certain
number of concurrent Drupal requests, and not all of them will require
a Solr request), then that will be just fine. If you want to be able
to scale-up to many connections a little better, consider switching to
the NIO ("non-blocking I/O") or the APR connectors, both of which can
handle more connections with fewer resources (particularly if you are
using HTTP Keep-Alive).

> I have searched the list archives as well, but I think my search
> was too broad or otherwise used the wrong terminology so I
> apologize if this question has been answered multiple times
> already.  If so, I am happy to RTFM and would appreciate any and
> all pointers to existing threads.

I would use the default BIO connector until you think you might be
hitting a bottleneck. If that happens, come back here and let us know
what's going on, and we can give you some better advice.

> I have successfully installed Tomcat 7.0.25 on my dev machine,
> which is a Mac, and I am using Apache 2.2.14.  The production
> machine will be Windows if that makes any difference.

It doesn't make a difference at all, though everyone has their own
preferences for production environments.