On 23/02/2012 06:51, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> We've been using parallel deployment for some time now with tomcat
> 7.0.25. For the most part the parallel deployment is a really nice idea,
> particularly because we don't have sessions serialised and clustered
> across all running instances.
>
> However, we've had mysterious problems for some time now where fixes
> we've applied to the application don't seem to work. We added some
> logging and have confirmed that some requests are still being served by
> the OLD instances of the application which are still deployed in the
> tomcat container but have an older version and therefore should not be
> responding. We might have two apps like this (using a format of YYMMDD
> and a two digit sequence):
>
> enrol##12022203.war
> enrol##12021503.war
>
> We would expect that requests would be served from only the newer
> application, but we find that requests continue to be served from the
> old, even though all the sessions to the old application are long dead.
>
> Just to confirm things we have another application which does not use
> sessions at all. It also has the same problem: requests are being served
> by the wrong application.
>

> In Tomcat Manager, the old application is still marked as running, but
> we thought this is just how it appears in the UI. Clearly there is
> something not right here.
>

> 1. Is this a known issue?

We'd need to understand the root cause to answer that. The short version
is that requests will only be routed to the old version if a request
includes a session ID that references it. I'd suggest adding the session
cookie to your access log.

> 2. Is there some way to get the old application to fully undeploy as
> soon as it has no live sessions?

No. It is on the to do list.

> We have been thinking about writing an
> external application to poll using JMX and do this, but that's quite a
> bit of work. It would be nicer if this happened inside tomcat itself.

Agreed. Patches welcome.

> 3. Is there some resource we might be hanging onto which is preventing
> the old application from properly stopping?

Maybe. But that would be a separate issue.

> 4. Should the tomcat manager show the older apps as still running or
> should they be shown as stopped?

running.

Mark