Hi,

With the software noted above, I get the following when starting tomcat and no logs other than catalina.are produced.

Can't load log handler "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
       at java.util.logging.LogManager$3.run(LogManager.java:358)
at java.util.logging.LogManager.loadLoggerHandlers(LogManager.java:345)
       at java.util.logging.LogManager.addLogger(LogManager.java:566)
       at java.util.logging.LogManager$1.run(LogManager.java:181)
       at java.util.logging.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:157)
       at java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:287)
       at sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:57)
       at sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:42)
at sun.management.jmxremote.ConnectorBootstrap.<clinit>(ConnectorBootstrap.java:760)
       at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:127)
       at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:239)

There is a lot on the web about this, but it all centres around adding the correct permissions to the system java.policy file (or to catalina's own, and invoking with -security).

However, that does not work for me. If I run with CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.security.debug=all, I can see that it is reading the same policy file which I'm editing, and the debug output doesn't include the word "FAILED" nor anything specific about tomcat-juli.jar, and yet it still doesn't work.

I'm about to start tearing my hair out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Alex.

--
Alex Hooper
Operations Team Leader, BMJ Group, BMA House, London WC1H 9JR

The BMJ Group is one of the world's most trusted providers of medical
information for doctors, researchers, health care workers and patients
group.bmj.com.  This email and any attachments are confidential.  If you have
received this email in error, please delete it and kindly notify us.  If the
email contains personal views then the BMJ Group accepts no responsibility for
these statements.  The recipient should check this email and attachments for
viruses because the BMJ Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by
viruses.  Emails sent or received by the BMJ Group may be monitored for size,
traffic, distribution and content.  BMJ Publishing Group Limited trading as BMJ
Group.  A private limited company, registered in England and Wales under
registration number 03102371.  Registered office: BMA House, Tavistock Square,
London WC1H 9JR, UK.