Recap:

OS              Slackware 13.x 64bit

Tomcat  6.0.24

Two different servers… one with 16 GB and one with 8GB

Heap    2GB, PermGen 300MB

Tried different versions of the (Oracle) JVM … tried 1.6.0_24 and 1.6.0_31

The current solution:

Has been stable using JVM version 1.6.0_7 for the last week (we were going down
once or twice a day.)

Two years ago, I faced this same issue and Chuck suggested I revert to 1.6.0_7.
 He said there was a change in 1.6.0_10 that may have caused the problem… I do
not know what that was but he appeared to be correct.  I reverted to 1.6.0_7
and the system was stable for two years until I tried more recent JVM's.

At this point, I am looking for suggestions as it clearly has something to do
with the JVM (I don't want to stay on 1.6.0_7 forever) but I have no idea how
to duplicate or troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,

Carl