Jonathan,

So, ConnectionPool.getProxyConstructor definitely makes a decision
about what interfaces to expose when generating a proxy for a
PooledConnection (sorry for the word-wrapping):

    public Constructor<?> getProxyConstructor(boolean xa) throws
NoSuchMethodException {
        //cache the constructor
        if (proxyClassConstructor == null ) {
            Class<?> proxyClass = xa ?

Proxy.getProxyClass(ConnectionPool.class.getClassLoader(), new Class[]
{java.sql.Connection.class,javax.sql.PooledConnection.class,
javax.sql.XAConnection.class}) :

Proxy.getProxyClass(ConnectionPool.class.getClassLoader(), new Class[]
{java.sql.Connection.class,javax.sql.PooledConnection.class});
            proxyClassConstructor = proxyClass.getConstructor(new
Class[] { InvocationHandler.class });
        }
        return proxyClassConstructor;
    }

This error:

>> Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: $Proxy5 cannot be cast
>> to org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.PooledConnection at
>> org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceProxy.getPooledConnection(DataSourceProxy.java:156)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at

... looks like it's probably a bug somewhere. I checked the code in
trunk, and nowhere does DataSourceProxy cast anything to
org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.PooledConnection. What version of Tomcat 7
are you using?

It looks like the DataSource must be configured with XA connections
enabled, so this error:

>> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Connection from pool does not
>> implement javax.sql.XAConnection at
>> org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceProxy.getXAConnection(DataSourceProxy.java:134)

...is

probably due to a misconfiguration. Please double-check that you
have XA enabled in your DataSource.