On 14/03/2012 01:37, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: Warren Bell [mailto:warrenbe...@gmail.com]
Subject: Initializing webapps in a certain order

Can you initialize webapps in a certain order ?

Read the FAQ:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Miscellaneous#Q27

The primary reason is that the servlet spec requires that each webapp be
self-contained and independent.

I have two apps, app1 and app2. app2 needs to access app1 during app2's
initialization. I need app1 to be initialized first and be done before
app2 starts to initialize.

Sounds like a bad plan.

Sounds reasonable to me, that one service be designed to make use of another service ;-)

We have OS services with explicit start-up dependencies, e.g. an issue tracking system which uses an RDBMS, and I'd expect to be able to do this with webapps.

If the apps are so tightly coupled, why aren't they just one webapp?

The dependency Warren describes doesn't imply "tightly coupled", and one possible reason they aren't one webapp is that they come from different vendors.

Does the servlet spec require that no web app may use the services of another web app?

Is a servlet spec implementation free to enable startup sequence to be defined?

Paul Singleton