2012/3/16 Johannes Ernst <jer...@netmesh.us>:
> I've implemented my own org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader. It consults
> a bunch of JARs held in the file system outside of the WAR.
>
> One of those outside JARs contains a custom JSP tag.
>
> When attempting to compile the JSP, Jasper fails to find it. I'm getting this:
> javax.servlet.ServletException: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to
> compile class for JSP:
>
> An error occurred at line: 13 in the jsp file: /foobar.jsp
> com.example.MyCustomTag cannot be resolved to a type

> My guess is that I somehow need to tell Jasper that it should use my custom
> WebappLoader when looking for custom tags.

You cannot.  Jasper is independent from Catalina.

Moreover Jasper has to pass a classpath to an external Java compiler
(ecj or javac). The classpath is constructed and passed to Jasper as
String.

> How would I do that? A few hours worth of poking around in the source code
> hasn't helped …
>
> This is Tomcat 6.0.28 but any answer for any version is appreciated.

Have you looked at VirtualWebappLoader class? I would think it already
does what you are trying to do.

I think there were also several fixes to WebappClassLoader in versions
later than your 6.0.28.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko