On 1:59 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

Terence,

On 3/17/12 7:16 PM, Terence M. Bandoian wrote:
On 1:59 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
I've been there. I was on a consulting gig once where we
replaced about 70% of the code of the product with 3rd-party OSS
libraries that had been written after the inception of the
project, but the original developers never had the inclination to
switch. Things like logging frameworks, O-R mappers, and even a
rudimentary XSLT engine (but it wasn't called that at the time).

It's amazing what people will write all by themselves.

- -chris

What are the origins of new tools and development practices?
Do you mean where did we get the libraries and stuff? Well, ASF for one...

I too am amazed by what people can and do write all by themselves.
I meant that far too many people suffer from NIH[1] syndrome.

- -chris

I agree. It's really the exceptional developer that has the ability to come up with their own design patterns.

-Terence