Why would you want to use a future?

Say in a web application, I can't really think of a reason why I would use
the future (asych) connection retrieval pattern.   The # of connections is
always fixed, I guess in a very high traffic environment where the # of
connections is the pool are used up, calling via a future will block he
request until a connection frees up right?

Could you also do this:  Send a sql query to the pool that you want to
execute in the beginning of the page, but you don't really care about the
return value until the end so you can let it go and then at the bottom you
call .get(), is that possible?