> From: Witoslaw Koczewski [mailto:w...@koczewski.de]
> Subject: Re: AccessControlException when starting embedded Tomcat from Java
> Webstart

> Usualy when I turn on a feature in software A, I don't expect
> it to affect software B.

You're not turning on a feature in an independent module; WebStart is changing
the mode the JVM runs in.

> Does Tomcat use the same Security Manager as WebStart or does
> it just share the same switch?

The SecurityManager is an attribute of the JVM, not of any particular set of
classes loaded in that JVM.  If the SecurityManager is enabled, all classes
running inside that JVM have to live with it.

> Is there perhaps a central place in the Tomcat source code where the
> switch is evaluated, so I can rename it or hard-code it to "false"?

You're missing the point; Tomcat isn't the one enforcing this, the JVM is.
Since you have chosen to operate in an environment that includes a
SecurityManager, you must find the controlling policy file for that
SecurityManager and make sure it includes all the permissions Tomcat needs (the
ones in catalina.policy).

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.