Konstantin:

Many thanks for your questions. I am using log4j (again, client
requirement - they like the formatting and they're familiar with the
configuration files). I'm currently using a fairly current version of
log4j (1.2.16), as it seems to be compiled against the JDK 1.2 or lower
APIs (thank heavens!). It is in the common/lib and the log4j.properties
is in common/classes, as specified in the instructions referred to below
(which also specifies the contents of the log4j.properties file), but
that didn't produce any logging output, either in the standard out or in
files. It seems to be better if I create a "setenv.bat" file with this
content:

set
CLASSPATH=..\common\classes;..\common\lib\org.apache.log4j-1.2.16.jar

When this is placed in the "bin" directory, it is automatically run by
the catalina.bat file (which I discovered on walking through the
process). By default, such a file doesn't exist. This produces, at
least, a "tomcat.log" file.

So I am getting something. What, exactly, especially when it comes to
application logging, I'm still working through.

David Sills