2012/4/12  <sandeep.shrid...@emc.com>:
> Hi,
>
> We are observing an increase in VIRT and RES memory of tomcat6.0  which
> internally invokes our custom API is invoked (This API internally does an JNI
> call).
> The same API code when invoked through a standalone java process repeatedly
> does not lead to an increase in the VIRT /RES memory.
>
> Is there any way this could be debugged further? Any hints would be really
> helpful.

1. Treat Tomcat itself as a standalone application. Take a memory dump
and load it into Profiler (e.g. Eclipse MAT) to see where the memory
really goes.

2. The usual pitfall with "repeatedly invoked the servlet using a GET
request" tests is that such clients usually ignore sessionid provided
by Tomcat. Thus the count of active sessions grows rapidly.

(That is if your servlet uses a session.  This is more usual for JSP
pages where sessions are enabled by default and people forget to add
<%@page session="false"%>).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko