http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/api/org/apache/catalina/tribes/group/interceptors/package-summary.html

Take a look at SimpleCoordinator and NonBlockingCoordinator

Equally simple to implement your own based on the requirement you have for
leader election.

It does depend on what you need leader ship for, sometimes, like virtual
synchrony, leaders are used to determine atomic delivery of a message to an
entire group. Either the entire group gets it, or doesn't.

Filip