I've spent few days trying to figure out what's going on but I give up.
I've tried boosting max_packet_size and few other properties but with no
success.

2012/4/30 Agnieszka Allstar <allstar...@gmail.com>

> 2012/4/30 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>

>> Kate,
>>
>> On 4/30/12 7:06 AM, Agnieszka Allstar wrote:
>> > Here's my test scenario: 1. Web service client sends SOAP request
>> > to apache server. This client sends requests in 2 flavors, either
>> > it is a generic SOAP call (A case) or a soap request with some
>> > files attached with MTOM (B case). Web service is capable of
>> > handling both types of requests. 2. Once the processing starts, I
>> > kill this tomcat with "kill -9".
>> >
>> > The results are: A - when tomcat1 is killed, the request is
>> > automatically transmitted to tomcat2. Client receives correct
>> > results. This is OK. B - when tomcat1 is killed, the request is not
>> > transmitted to tomcat2. Client receives 502 error: bad gateway
>> > instead.
>>
>> Are you using POST to send both messages (A case and B case)?
>>

> Yes, both are POST.
>

>> What if you send a very *small* attachment via MTOM? I'm wondering
>> what the real difference is, since in both cases you should be sending
>> HTTP POST... the only difference should be larger Content-Length.
>>

> Good idea, gotta check the small attachment version and see what happens.
> I've also noticed that requests differ in Content-Type. For simple soap
> request is text/xml and the one with attachments is multipart/related;
> type="application/xop+xml (...).
>

>> I wonder if mod_jk can only failover the current request (with no
>> error to the client) if the request is small enough (or only a small
>> amount has already been transferred to the failing server).
>>

> This could be it I'll check this out. I only need to wait few days until
> I'm back in office.

I did some tests and it turns out that sending just a single tiny
attachment (1KB) breaks the failover.

>> > [Fri Apr 27 12:19:08 2012] [1376450:1] [error]
>> > service::jk_lb_worker.c (1425): unrecoverable error 502, request
>> > failed. Tomcat failed in the middle of reques [Fri Apr 27 12:19:08
>> > 2012] [1376450:1] [error] service::jk_lb_worker.c (1485): All
>> > tomcat instances failed, no more workers left
>>
>> This looks like you have killed both tomcat instances and mod_jk can
>> contact neither of them. Are you sure you have gotten mod_jk back in
>> communication with both servers between "A case" and "B case" runs? If
>> you haven't, this isn't really a valid test.
>>

> I'm pretty sure there was only one tomcat killed but I'll rerun my tests.
> As for initial state, after each test I restart both mod_jk (apache) and
> tomcat servers and make sure they appear as ok in mod_jk.

I kill tomcat while it's processing request in B case and the error log
says there aren't any workers left and returns 502. I do the same in A case
and w/o problems request is retransmitted to tomcat2 (not indicated in the
log though). Makes no sense to me.

[info] ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1266): (tomcat1)
can't receive the response header message from tomcat, tomcat
(x.x.x.x:8191) has forced a connection close for socket 19
[error] ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (2118): (tomcat1) Tomcat is down or
refused connection. No response has been sent to the client (yet)
[info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2607): (tomcat1) sending request to
tomcat failed (recoverable),  (attempt=1)
[info] jk_open_socket::jk_connect.c (626): connect to x.x.x.x:8191 failed
(errno=79)
[info] ajp_connect_to_endpoint::jk_ajp_common.c (1008): Failed opening
socket to (x.x.x.x:8191) (errno=79)
[error] ajp_send_request::jk_ajp_common.c (1630): (tomcat1) connecting to
backend failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong
port (errno=79)
[info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2607): (tomcat1) sending request to
tomcat failed (recoverable), because of error during request sending
(attempt=2)
[error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2626): (tomcat1) connecting to tomcat
failed.
[info] service::jk_lb_worker.c (1400): service failed, worker tomcat1 is in
error state

[info] ajp_connection_tcp_get_message::jk_ajp_common.c (1266): (tomcat1)
can't receive the response header message from tomcat, tomcat
(x.x.x.x:8191) has forced a connection close for socket 19
[error] ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (2118): (tomcat1) Tomcat is down or
refused connection. No response has been sent to the client (yet)
[error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2600): (tomcat1) sending request to
tomcat failed (unrecoverable),  (attempt=1)
[info] service::jk_lb_worker.c (1400): service failed, worker tomcat1 is in
error state
[error] service::jk_lb_worker.c (1425): unrecoverable error 502, request
failed. Tomcat failed in the middle of request, we can't recover to another
instance.
[error] service::jk_lb_worker.c (1485): All tomcat instances failed, no
more workers left

Obviously this has sth to do with the fact that in A case the mod_jk.log
says the request is recoverable, whereas in B case it's unrecoverable but I
can't really tell what's the cause after looking at mod_jk src.

Either way, I have to quit this and implement some retries on the client
side instead.

Thanks
Kate