De: André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com>
Para: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Enviado: Jueves 10 de Mayo de 2012 14:02
Asunto: Re: tomcat pausing and process killed

Miguel,

just a couple of general remarks.

Tomcat is an open-source project, developed and supported by volunteers.
These volunteers do not have all the time in the world, so they tend to focus
first on the current Tomcat version (7.x), a bit less on the previous version
(6.x), and much less on the previous version (5.5).

You are running Tomcat 5.5, and you are having a problem with it.  And your
problem, as you describe it, does not seem to be a very common problem
experienced by a lot of users.

The first recommendation would be to upgrade your installation to Tomcat 7, or
at least Tomcat 6.
That is because it may be that the problem that you are seeing, was due to some
feature or bug in Tomcat 5.5, that has been resolved in the meantime.
It also because, if the problem still happens in Tomcat 7, you are likely to
get a lot more attention to it on the part of the developers and other
volunteers on this list.

Next, about your issue :
It sounds very strange that you would have an error message in the error log
about an invalid encoding of a request parameter, but that you cannot find that
request in the access log.
It could also be a misconfiguration on your part.
Can you copy and paste your Tomcat "server.xml" here (removing all the comments
and any confidential information please) ? (repeat : copy and paste in the
message, not in a separate attachment; the list strips most
attachments)

As Konstantin mentions separately, there are (a few) cases where Tomcat will
not log an invalid request.

A solution in that case would be to set up an Apache httpd server in front of
your Tomcat, listening on the port on which Tomcat is listening now (presumably
80), and proxying all request to Tomcat (changing the Tomcat port to something
else, e.g. 8080).  This is usually a rather simple setup, but if you have
trouble doing that, ask.

Then the access log of Apache httpd may show what Tomcat does not show.