Hello Konstantin
Thanks for this info which was very helpful.

I have now created a batch program that runs at startup that comes down to:

Tomcat6w//MQ
<start required executables>
Tomcat6w//MR

Now if the power fails long enough to drain the UPS, the machine will go down, reboot when the power comes back and restore all services. When all is done the Tomcat service manager displays info that is consistent with the actual program state. This is what I was looking for.

Thanks al lot!