>It would be easier if all databases were hosted by a single instance
>of MySQL -- then you could use Tomcat-pool's feature of being able to
>provide credentials when obtaining connections from the pool -- and
>get the right database. That way, a much smaller number of connections
>could be maintained with roughly the same semantics.
Can you expand on how I could do this?

Thanks for the insights.  I think in reality there would be multiple
databases per server.  For example, when I purchase shared hosting, you can
query for all the databases and you can see there are hundreds of db's for
each customer.  If a customer's traffic is high enough, I could move them
to another server.

Also, seeing as 2GB would be required, and the file handler issue, I was
thinking one could segment sites into clusters, so each cluster would be
responsible for n number of websites (thus reducing the # of pools required
per application server).