2012/6/6 Morgan, Russel <russel.mor...@disney.com>:

> What I don't know how to do is use that redirect filter/rewrite to change the
> url based on the version of tomcat, which it seems I need to do, since the
> container pathing logic changed across versions.

Do not use your trick of mapping DefaultServlet to wrong path and it
will work in both versions.

If you are really frustrated, you can fork, compile and configure your
own implementation of DefaultServlet and bundle it with your
application. It is just a servlet. It is not "core". Nothing in
implementation of the Servlet specification has changed. All
documented API works.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko