Hello,

I am running multiple web applications on a tomcat server.  When a request
to a context in the stopped state is made, tomcat is returning 404 "not
found" rather than 503 "unavailable".  Is it possible to change this
behavior in any way?  Obviously I can't just modify _all_ HTTP 404
stopped state.

Here is a little more information, as to my goal.
I have a couple of web servers (apache 2.2.22) in front of a couple tomcat
servers (6.0.24).  I am hosting multiple web applications.  If an
application goes down or is stopped on "tocmat1", apache will continue to
send requests to "tomcat1", giving my users error pages.  To partly solve
this, I've added the 'failonstatus' attribute to the balancer such that
HTTP 503 responses will put the BalancerMember in the error state for 60
seconds; thereby sending all requests to "tomcat2" which is replicating
sessions (this works very nicely, btw).

Unfortunately, tomcat is responding with HTTP 404 when a request is made to
a context that is stopped.  I was surprised by this, given that the
requested context isn't "not found", it's simply (and probably
intentionally) "unavailable".  I realize this could start a semantics
argument, which isn't my goal.  I simply want to be able to avert traffic
from a context/server that has an application stopped.

Information
Web Servers:  apache 2.2.22
App Servers:  tomcat 6.0.24
Connector: ajp 1.3
OS:  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit (web servers)   and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit
(app servers)
(If I missed any info let me know)

Thank you,
Kyle Harper

This communication and any attachments are confidential, protected by
Communications Privacy Act 18 USCS ยง 2510, solely for the use of the intended
recipient, and may contain legally privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, please return or destroy it immediately. Thank you.