On 6/19/2012 8:07 PM, André Warnier wrote:
James Lampert wrote:
. . . and when I looked back at the box I was testing, Tomcat *had* finally shut down. And when I ran both the start and stop scripts this time, the stop script worked perfectly (and promptly).

Weird. Why would the shutdown take so long as to give the impression it had failed entirely, then eventually work, then later work promptly?

1) Gremlins. You need to exorcise your datacenter.
or
2) because the first time, Tomcat had been running for a while, so it had a lot of things to shut down nicely and cleanup; while the second time, it had only be running for a much shorter time, and had less to clean up ?

It's not gremlins, it's magic. I see this all the time on windows: it shuts down in the time I'm willing to wait for it ~50% of the time. The other 50% I end up killing the task.