Hi, many thanks for the suggestion. : ) So I've reviewed everything I can
find on Resource declarations in tomee.xml and resources.xml (and tried
various tests), and what's not entirely clear (to me) is: is creating a
DataSource using a custom javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory supported...? I am
trying to do the following (this is the Tomcat impl):

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#Adding%20Custom%20Resource%20Factories

I've reviewed the following:

http://tomee.apache.org/containers-and-resources.html
http://tomee.apache.org/configuring-datasources.html
http://tomee.apache.org/examples-trunk/resources-declared-in-webapp/README.html
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/openejbtomee-resources-how-does-it-work/

But it's not clear that a Resource declaration in tomee.xml has an
attribute that takes a subclass of javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory?

(Also is some of the above documentation out-of-date as far as the latest
attributes, etc....? Is there something more up-to-date I'm
overlooking....?)

(And in the interim I am just instantiating / configuring my custom
DataSource in application code, but still curious how this might be doable.
: )

Best,
Stuart