I think the current behavior should be left alone. If you have an
Apache Maven multi-module project where you are putting different
persistence.xml units for different modules, then you should exclude
them from the final artifact for those intermediary modules. Both
m-jar-p and m-war-p support exclusions, simply put the
**/persistence.xml in there for those projects.