Karl,

Please see PrimeFaces 5.0 user guide, page 530, section 9.5.1 Counter, and
then scroll down and look for,

package org.primefaces.examples.push.counter;

import org.primefaces.push.annotation.OnMessage;
import org.primefaces.push.annotation.PushEndpoint;
import org.primefaces.push.impl.JSONEncoder;

@PushEndpoint("/counter")
public class CounterResource {
    @OnMessage(encoders = {JSONEncoder.class})
    public String onMessage(String count) {
        return count;
    }
}

do you have a class like this defined in your app? you should try to deploy
the PrimeFaces 5.0 Push - Counter example, test the example, and make
appropriate code changes to your PrimeFaces Push logic.