My response may be inappropriate but I have been using

- tomee+ 1.5.1  + eclipselink 2.3.2 + apache derby 10.x + JDK7

- tomee+ 1.6.x  + eclipselink 2.3.2 + apache derby 10.x + JDK7

and now

- tomee+ 1.7.0  + eclipselink 2.3.2 + apache derby 10.x + JDK8

and the stack is working great, and I'm loving it!