CXF 2.6.16 source is the same
(org.apache.cxf.attachment.AttachmentUtil.java):

--------------------
            if (!StringUtils.isEmpty(fileName)) {
                if (fileName.indexOf("\"") > 0) {
                    fileName = fileName.substring(fileName.indexOf("\"") +
1, fileName.lastIndexOf("\""));
                } else {
                    fileName = fileName.substring(fileName.indexOf("=") +
1);
                }
            }

CXF 2.7 seems to have rewritten this class from ground up.

Well this is bad news...

And this API incompatibility you mean JAX-WS API or internal CXF integration
API? Because Java EE 6 WS API is OK for me (and EE 7 API is
backwards-compatible I think). But if TomEE-CXF integration needs to
changed, than this is not a one-day work.

So, simple "replace jar files in lib folder" will not work (leaving Java EE
6 JAX-WS APIs)?