Hi

tomcat external web.xml (in conf/<engine|Catalina>/... typically) is a
good one but then if you want a really dynamic solution you will need
some code A filter looks good to stay portable but an Authenticator -
tomcat API for higher level filters - would allow you to reuse
existing authenticators (delegate pattern) and avoid you several code
lines.

Depending the app a simple interceptor or JAXRS filter if you use
JAXRS 2 are nice API to use for such a need as well.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Tomitriber