Bump on this thread because I have the same issue. Below my context (a
servlet project) :

1) I've defined a Datasource in tomee.xml with id "test/dossier" (used in a
another EJB project with @Resource annotation without issue).
2) In my web.xml file, adding a new section :
<resource-ref>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/test/dossier</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>
3) In my META-INF/context.xml :
<Context path="/cmis/test">
    <Resource name="jdbc/test/dossier" type="javax.sql.DataSource" />
</Context>
4) In my source code :
final Context ic = new InitialContext();
ic.createSubcontext("java:comp/env/jdbc");
return ic;

TomEE(in fact tomcat) returns me an OperationNotSupportedException with the
message "The context is read-only".

I know I've missed something.... but I'm a little bit lost