yes Class-Path is an issue

you can surely configure scanManifest on
org.apache.tomee.loader.TomEEJarScanner
in context.xml

that said if the jar is excluded it shoudlnt be scanned at all (not
visible) except by appclassloader which is outside of tomee. Maybe try
setting the system property openejb.additional.exclude to "itext" to ensure
it is read.

Romain Manni-Bucau